So, it’s that time again. It comes once a year or so. The time to reformat your hard drive and get your computer as clean as a whistle.
I don’t know about you, but over time I download and install many different apps and then uninstall just about as many. That leaves my computer hating me. I can sense it getting more and more frustrated every time I drag a new application into the folder. Well not anymore. Today it’s smiling right back at me. With a squeaky clean hard drive and a fresh updated OS (Lion) my computer is ruining on all cylinders.
I also get a lot of people asking me quite often what I use as far as programs go. Well, when I decided to do my reboot, I made a list of all the programs I needed for daily work before I wiped them so I’d have a reference to look back on. I’ve decided to share it below… broken up into category.
I hope someone else finds this useful.
** System Programs**
- Clean My Mac – very important. It keeps my mac running very smoothly.
- Dropbox – for sharing files between co-workers
- iBank – keeps my finances in order
- VLC – the only way to watch movies
- Carbonite – gotta keep things backed up
- Sublime Text 2 – wicked fast development
- Coda – still pretty good… but slowly moving away from it for the one above
- MAMP Pro – gotta have mamp
- Sequal Pro – my favorite way to interact with my database locally and some online ones
- iTerm – better version of Terminal
- ColorSnapper – grabs colors
- Filezilla – fastest FTP program I’ve ever used.
- Evernote – keeps things in sync
- Pages – great word processor… much better than Word
Photo and Slicing Programs
- Fireworks CS3 – I like this version the best
- Photoshop CS5 – I finally upgraded and so far so good
Other than a few other random programs, that’s all I run.